How many stamps do I need: Postage stamps are the little things that go unnoticed by the majority of the people. It is because, the world has evolved digitally and since the dawn of the internet, letters have become rare. However, when an individual need to mail a letter, envelopes and parcelled packages, these postage stamps make it happen. Meaning, they play a major role in the mailing of such items, both internationally and domestically.
There are different types of postage stamps. Also, they differ in price based on the item being mailed according to the weight, height, and dimension. The variety of postage stamps available for the general public is large. People can choose based on their requirement and item volume/metrics.
For those of you who are yet to know what a postage stamp is, let us brief you about it.
About Postage stamps
Generally known as a stamp (postage stamp), it is a small piece of paper, which is issued by a post office, postal administration or any authorized postage stamp vendor under government rules and regulations. Customers (senders) who wish to mail a letter or any other item requires to pay a certain amount that involves the cost of moving, insuring and registering the mail. Then, their item is affixed with a stamp to the face or on the address side of the item of mail or another postal cover. The item is then processed by the postal officials, where a postal mark is provided to the item stating its date and point of origin of mailing on the stamp. This marks that the item is prevented from being reused or misused. After the completion of this process, the item is delivered to its destined address.
A postage stamp always features the names of the issuing nation, an illustration of persons, events, natural realities, institutions that holds importance to the symbolizing of the nation and a denomination of its value. The shape of postage stamps varies, at the time it is rectangular in shape, sometimes triangular and sometimes otherwise. One can opt for specialized custom-made stamp based on the issuing postal office.
There are various types of stamps available for use. We have made a list of the different types of stamps below.
- Airmail stamp- For payment of airmail services.
- Booklet stamp- Produced and issues in booklet format.
- Carriers stamp- To deliver mail directly.
- Certified mail- Provides proof of mailing via a receipt to the sender.
- Coil stamps- tear-off stamps issued in vending machines.
- Commemorative stamp- Issued for a limited time to commemorate a person.
- Computer vended postage- Advanced secure postage.
- Definitive stamps- For everyday postage.
- Express mail- Special delivery stamp.
- Local post- Used to mail to a local post.
- Makeup stamp- A small valued stamp used to make up the difference when postage stamp rates increase.
- Military stamp- Special postal system for armed forces of a country.
- Mini sheet- A commemorative stamp issue, contains a different number of stamps.
- Newspaper stamp- To pay the price of mailing newspapers and other periodicals.
- Official mail stamp- Government issued a stamp for government agencies.
- Occupation stamp- used by occupying army or authorities for being used by civilians.
- Non-denominated postage- Stamp that remains valid even when the price of the postage stamp has increased.
- Overprint- Regular stamp like a commemorative stamp or a definitive, which has been changed after issuance by ‘printing over’ portions of the stamp.
- Perforated stamp- Referred to the stamps having perforations around the stamp, known as perfins.
- Personalized stamps- Custom made stamps allowing a sender to add images of their choice.
- Pneumatic stamps- Produced only in Italy, these stamps are used for sending items using pressurized air tubes.
- Postage currency- Stamps that are used as currency instead of postage stamps.
- Postage due- Stamp that states postage has not been paid.
- Postal tax- A stamp which states that a tax above the postage rate has been paid.
- Self-adhesive stamp- Self-sticking stamps.
- Semi-postal- Also known as charity stamp, it requires an additional payment for a charity.
- Souvenir sheet- contain perforated or imperforate stamps as a part of its design.
- Specimen stamp- Sent to postal officials to identify valid and forged stamps.
- Test stamp- Used for testing in machines and scanners.
- Variable value stamps- Stamps that differ in rate based on the times of issuance by machines.
- War tax stamps- A type of tax stamps that defray the cost of war.
- Water activated stamp- Used generally, that can be stuck on by moisture.
Well, these are the different types of stamps available for use. However, the main question that still arises is how many stamps does a regular person need? An individual will surely not be needing all of the above-mentioned stamps. These stamps have sub-genres and their rates and usage vary with the type of item being mailed. Hence, we shall provide you with a guidance over the number of stamps you would need on different occasions.
How many stamps do I need?
- For a standard letter: If you are mailing a standard letter, one Forever Stamp or one First Class Letter stamp at the top right corner of an envelope can be used. If the size of the letter is of the standard size then a Forever stamp is sufficient for mailing within the US. The number of stamps that need to be attached to a letter depends upon the size and weight of the letter.
- For a package: For packages that weigh below 12 ounces, postage stamps are accepted. The weight and dimension of the package are taken into consideration, along with its point of origin and destination and its impact, according to which an accurate calculation is made. Usually, for the first three ounces of a package, it costs around $2.66.
- For a 9 by 12 envelope: The pricing of stamps depends on the envelope as there are different types of envelopes available. The 9 by 12 is a standard dimension accepted by the postal services and affixing a stamp is an easy task for a proper postage service. For customers with larger envelopes, it costs around $1.00 (for first ounce) + $0.21(additional ounces).
- For a large envelope: Two Forever stamps are needed to mail a one-ounce legal sized envelope. It is valued at $0.50. with each additional ounce, an extra day of $0.21 is needed. For, at times large envelopes are used for mailing sheaves of paper and photos. Generally, large envelopes are known as flats.
- For a USPS Postage: The USPS refers to the United States Postal Service, who handles the mailing of letters and packages. It takes care of all the postal services required, from sorting of emails to supplying the essentials needed for mailing. The USPS postage stamp varies in price based on the event with a minimal charge of $0.5p for 1oz.
- For a manila envelope: It is a large envelope, for which the postage rate is $1.00 for the first ounce and $0.21 for additional ounces. If you are to use forever stamps for manila envelopes, then you will require two forever stamps.
- For international mail: A postage stamp known as the Global Forever stamp is used to mail postcards. The same being used for 1oz letters to mail anywhere in the world. These stamps can be picked up from your local post offices. If you are to mail from the United States, the international first-class mail costs $1.15. each forever stamp is currently priced at $0.50. hence, you are to make the calculations based on what you are sending and the pricing of the forever stamps and the number of the stamps that you will be needing.
- Per ounce: As we have already mentioned, the number of stamps needed to be affixed on a particular item or mail depends upon the weight of the letters. If the letter to be posted weighs more than an ounce, you will have to weigh it prior to affixing the stamp to avoid the returning of the letters. For, a little miss in the weighing and paying could mean ‘lack of postage’ and hence have your mail returned back to you. The forever stamp is considered to be the ideal postage stamp for mailing normal, standard sized one-ounce letters within the country.
So, here we ask ourselves again, how many stamps do we need? Well, now you at least have an idea of the number of stamps you would need to mail your letter. It is very important to keep the weight and dimension of the mail in mind. For, it is a strict law to pay the postage accordingly. Otherwise, you will fail to send your letters and have it returned back to you. Generally, heavier letters tend to be returned back if the postage is accurately calculated and paid by the sender. Hence, it is your utmost duty to have the weight and dimension of the mail checked properly to avoid such mishaps. Be it normal sized or large sized, if you are paying your postage as per the regulations, you are good to go.